RE: raid and sleeping bad sectors

"And where do you propose the system would store all the info about
badblocks?"

Simple, this is an 8 or 16 bit value per device.  I am sure we could find 16
bits!  If the device is replaced we don't need the info anymore, so store it
on the device!  In the superblock maybe?  Once the disk fails it would be
nice for md to log the current value, just so we know.

About the disk test.  I do a disk test each night.  That's my point!!!  I
don't think I should do the test.  If the test fails I need to correct it.
Let md test things, and correct them, and send an alert if it can't correct
it, or if a threshold is exceeded!

Paranoid?  You been using computers long?  I guess not.  In time you will
learn!  :)  If any block in the stripe gets hosed (parity or not) when you
replace a disk, during the re-build the constructed data will be wrong, even
if it was correct on the failed disk.  The corruption now affects 2 disks.
Yes, I want to verify the parity.  Can be just a utility that gives a
report.  With RAID5 you can't determine which disk is corrupt!  Only that
the parity does not match the data.  If the corruption was in the parity,
re-writing the parity would correct it.  If the corruption is in the data,
re-writing the parity will prevent spreading the corruption to another disk
during the next re-build.  With RAID6 I think you could determine which disk
is corrupt and correct it!

Neil?  Any thoughts?  You have been silent on this subject.

Guy
Spock - "If I drop a wrench on a planet with a positive gravity field, I
need not see it fall, nor hear it hit the ground, to know that it has in
fact fallen."

Guy - "Logic dictates that there are numerous events that could prevent the
wrench from hitting the ground.  I need to verify the impact!"