From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Markus Müller
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 12:13 PM
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Alternative to RAID... No change to Data HDDs, only one simple
"modulo"-Disk

Hi Linux RAID,

I don't want Linux Software RAID, because RAID 5 itself and/or the Linux
Software RAID has unflexibility I don´t want to accept. These are especialy:

Implementation independet, logical restrictions:
- With only one working disk of a raid 5 I can´t do anything, not to
mention to mount it alone
- I must trust the RAID algorithmus, because it needs and does do
writing to handle the data itself
- All hdd must be have the same size, ok, you can put langer in it, but
you´ll waste space
Linux Software RAID restrictions:
- Putting new Disk in the RAID is BETA and forces to dataloss
<http://dict.leo.org/?p=2Ib6..&search=mention>
The only real advantage is the increased read- and writespeed as well as
a single partition.

And now the clou: I don´t care about this advantages! So I prefer the
following solution:
<http://dict.leo.org/?p=2Ib6..&search=advantage>
You use your hdds as you wouldn´t want to use anything like RAID. Then
you insert a new hdd, which have at least the size of the bigest hdd in
computer. Then you make over all hdds for each byte, starting on every
disk at byte 0, a modulo 255, and write it to this new disk. Each read
access can be done as it would be done before, on every write to one of
these involved hdds you update over all disks the modulo and write it to
this new disk. If the disks size differs of the different involved hdds,
you simply have on the higher bytes a modulo of the remaining disks. For
example, you have a 60 GB, a 80 GB and a 120 GB disk. The new disk with
the modulo data is also 120 GBs. Then from 0 byte to 60 GBs you have a
modulo over 3 disks, from 60 to 80 you have a modulo over 2 disks and
the rest is a 1:1 copy of the 120 GB drive on this new 120 GB disk.

-> If a disk dies, you can restore it using the safed modulo data on
this new 120 GB disk.

The benefit? See the restrictions above. None of this applys on this
solution! But you have the same security benefit from RAID 5! The little
price for this solution: You loos is speed, and you do not a single
partition. I have a data dump, not a high performance raid, so I don´t
care about the speed. (Current hdds are fast enought, also for this
solution!) And I see multiple partition as a benefit. (personal opinion!)

Special Benefits:
- REAL SECURITY: You can resize your hdd selection without having the
fear of dataloss! This mechanismus don´t change your source hdds! It
only does need read access! It CAN´T do anything wrong with your data!
- REAL SECURITY: You can recover with normal rescue programs!
- FLEXIBILITY:: You can take any disk out of your system and simply
mount it!
- FLEXIBILITY: The size of the involved hdds doesn´t matter; the disk
with the modulo just must have the same size than the bigest hdd or more
of your hdd colletion.

And now the matter of price: Does anybody  have an idear how to
implement this? I am appreciate for any hint or comment.

Thanks,
Markus Mueller
-

-