Re: raid1 creation problems

On Friday June 11, rrk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> why would mdadm be creating a md device (raid1) that was larger than the
> partition table?

Because the partition table hadn't  been read after it was last
changed maybe.

> these are two identical seagate 120's --debian 2.4.26 with raid compiled in.
> i have built the partition tables with fdisk cfdisk and parted same
> problem everytime . everything is fine
> up until i boot at which time it say's the superblock is larger than the
> partition by about 20 or 30 blocks

At which time *what* says that *what* superblock is larger by exactly
*how*many* blocks.

> I have built several other raid1 system's  over the last year and have
> not seen this problem before.
> to add the drives to the array i boot under a recuse disk and sync under
> the rescue disk. same mdadm
> version as they were built with. The partition tables match in all cases
> -- with fdisk i kept everything on cyl
> boundaries.

I really think that if you want help, you need to provide better
details.  I'm guessing that this is a raid array that you are booting
off. Is that correct?

Exactly what do you do, and exactly what happens.

> where and how does mdadm check partition size?

It uses an ioctl to ask the partition device how big it is.

NeilBrown

-