Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 1.6.0 - A tool for managing Soft RAID under Linux

On Friday June 4, me@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I did finish, but the example seemed to show that the --auto would build the
> partitions.  I know at the end of the message Neil said then you use cfdisk
> but it seemed unnecessary at that point

Hmmm....
I said:

: If you do this, it will create device files:
:
:     /dev/md/XX   the whole array
:     /dev/md/XX1  the first partition
:     /dev/md/XX2  the second partition
:     /dev/md/XX3  the third partition
:     /dev/md/XX4  the fourth partition

Meaning that it will create "device files" for the partitions, which
is what I said.
However I then said:

: More (or less) partitions can be created using e.g. --auto=partition8
: to create 8 partition device files.

Which first says that "partitions" can be created, and then that
"partition device files" will be created.

So I clearly wasn't being precise as would be good, though I was
trying :-)

mdadm created device files (just like mknod does).  It does not create
partitions - that is a job for *fdisk.

NeilBrown

-