From: Michael Tokarev [mailto:mjt@tls.msk.ru]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:27 AM
To: Cress, Andrew R
Cc: donj@asaca.com; linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Booting from a raid1 device ?

[...snip...]

> You have to also have a working MBR on the redundant disk as well, or
> you'll never get to the loader if the first disk really fails.
Usually
> it is the loader's responsibility to set up (or at least verify) the
> MBR.

Well.. not really.  Sure, working MBR should be on all disks involved.
But it is necessary to set it up only once on every disk, and forgot
about it.  "Standard" MBR that comes with MS-DOS, or any other similar
MBR code will work, and there's no reason to touch it during the whole
lifetime of the disk.

-