Re: Booting from a raid1 device ?

> On 2003-10-27T23:11:19,
>    Hermann Himmelbauer <dusty@strike.wu-wien.ac.at> said:
>
> > BTW, assuming I have md.o not as module but statically in the kernel, which
> > bootloader would support RAID1? I heard LlLO does this job but does also grub
> > - which I prefer - support Linux SW-RAID1?
>
> grub doesn't yet afaik.
>
> > What about RAID5? Is there any bootloader that supports it?
>
> No.

The appropriate solution is to put an 8-16 meg partition as the first
partition on the first two drives (all the drives) in the system. Set
those up as raid one and mount them on /boot. Use these as the boot
boot partitions in a mostly raid 5 system. Likewise, segment swap
partitions into pairs on the raid5 disk set and create raid 1 arrays
for swap

Michael
-