Linux drivers for ICH5R (RAID1) and Promise PDC20378, Performance

Hi,
I am considering buying a new Intel based Motherboard (875P chipset) with 2
RAID-Controller on Board: ICH5R and Promise PDC20378.

I want to know if the RAID1 functionality of Intel's 875P Southbridge (ICH5R)
is fully supported by Linux. I read that at the launch of the ICH5R only
RAID0 was supported but by a BIOS update, RAID1 is now also available. Is the
driver (if there is any) pre-alpha or has it somehow proved to be stable?

Moreover I want to know if there are drivers for the Promise PDC20378.

But here's another question: Let's assume those 2 RAID chips are perfectly
supported by Linux and you would want to set up a fast RAID1 solution with
e.g. 2* WD-Raptor SATA disks. There are 3 ways to do this:

1) Software RAID: Easy, no driver support needed, but would this be very CPU
intensive? Moreover is grub already capable to load the kernel from a RAID1
device? Another disadvantage would be that during write operations the
traffic between the CPU and the disk subsystem is doubled compared to a
HW-RAID solution.

2) HW RAID with ICH5R: This variant has the advantage that the SATA-channels
are directly connected to the Chipset and do not stress the PCI-bus.

3) HW RAID with Promise

Theoretically the read speed of a RAID1 device should be double of a single
disk. Anyway it seems that currently available HW-RAID1 solutions are even
slower than a single disk. What would this be like with Linux SW-RAID? Would
SW-RAID double the read-speed?

What would you prefer?

Moreover I would like to know which filesystem would suit best. For the
HW-RAID solutions this should not make any difference but I heard that e.g.
ReiserFS + Linux SW-RAID is quite slow.

		Best Regards,
		Hermann

--