Re: raid0 + raid1 question

Rechenberg, Andrew wrote:

We actually used to backup our data in this fashion, but we used a
triple mirror.  We had three hardware RAID arrays and then we used Linux
software RAID to mirror those three (i.e. /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdd1, and
/dev/hde1).  At night we used mdadm to break the mirror, mount the
removed partition and backup, and then add the partition back in and
re-mirror.

Exactly what we do now.

The database is unavailable for less than 1 minute while the snapshot is
taken (it actually takes less than 10 seconds to snapshot ~360GB, the
other time is just the script sleeping, making sure all transactions
complete).  This solution ensures a consistent database, while also
having near-line backups available on disk.

I'm assuming the snapshot it the same size as the FS to backup. What if you don't have enough disk space to do this?

--
Anthony Mayes
UNIX Server Administration