Re: raid0 + raid1 question

On 2003-10-08T15:53:19,
   anthony mayes <anmayes@siue.edu> said:

> I have 7 disks in an x86 box.  I want to have 2 raid0's (concatenations)
> of 3 disks each.  Then I want to raid1 (mirror) the raid0's.   This
> leaves 1 disk for the OS.

That is a suboptimal allocation and will actually increase the
likelihood of failure. What you want to do is to have 3 raid1's of 2
disks each and to concatenate these 3 via raid0 or LVM.

And why are you not placing the OS itself on a RAID too? If the system
goes down, so will your application.

> with the afore mentioned configuration. First the mirror is broken and
> half of the mirror is mounted as another filesystem while the
> application continues to run on the other half of the mirror.  The
> backup is performed and then the mirror is resync'ed.  However, I want
> to move to x86 and linux and need to know if the same is possible and
> how to do it.  Does anyone have any experience / advise?

You should concat the 3 raid1's via LVM and use LVMs snapshot facility.
(Google for the howto)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering		ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
SuSE Labs				try again. fail again. fail better.

-