Initrd, Software Raid and Failure to Mount Root FS

This is a description of a solved problem which may be of help to others.

I created a raid0 array on md0 intended to boot from a small non-raid boot
partition.  I copied the contents of my old root partition on hda1 to md0,
changed fstab and set up lilo to boot off the array, but found that no root
file system was recognised.

It turned out that the problem was lack of support for software raid in my
initrd file system.  I compiled and installed my kernel (Debian 2.4.22 using
make-kpkg) whilst hda1 was the root filesystem.  The problem was easily
rectified by creating and installing a new initrd.img using mkinitrd but
specifying the root filesystem as /dev/md0.

It seems that initrd can be a trap for some newcomers to raid.
--

-