Re: a couple of mdadm questions

On  September 6, skvidal@phy.duke.edu wrote:

> When I do a mdadm -D /dev/md1 it lists out very oddly:

> So why does this say - 5 working devices, 2 failed devices and 7 active
> devices?

Because the code in the kernel for keeping these counters up-to-date
is rather fragile and probably broken, but as the counters aren't
actually used for anything (much) I have never bothered fixing it.

> It seems like it should read:
> 7 active devices and 7 working devices.
> In addition, I can't get State: dirty, no-errors to go away.
>
> I considered recreating this array with:
>
> mdadm -C /dev/md1 -l 5 -n 7 -c 64 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 \
> /dev/sde1 /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdg1 /dev/sdh1
>
> but I was a little leery that I might screw something up. There is a lot
> of important data on this array.

You could get mdadm 1.3.0, add some patches from
    http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdadm/patch/applied/
and try
   --assemble --update=summaries

it should fix these counts for you.

> The only other thing that is very odd is that on boot the system always
> claims to fail to start the array, that there are too few drives. But
> then it starts, mounts and the data all looks good. I've compared big
> chunks of the data with md5sum and it's valid. So I think it has
> something to do with the Working Device counts.
>
> Is that the case?

Probably.  What is the actual message?

NeilBrown
-