Re: RAID-1 does not rebuild after hot-add

[root@www2 root]# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
104320 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
1052160 blocks [2/2] [UU]
md2 : active raid1 sdb3[1]
3076352 blocks [2/1] [_U]
md3 : active raid1 sdb5[1]
1052160 blocks [2/1] [_U]
md4 : active raid1 sdb6[1]
12635008 blocks [2/1] [_U]

<snip>

Did you try:
mdadm /dev/md2 -a /dev/sda3
mdadm /dev/md3 -a /dev/sda5
mdadm /dev/md4 -a /dev/sda6

Already tried. I notice this problem happens in Redhat distributions since 7.3 to 9 . When attempting to hot add disks, it doesn't rebuild. I am wondering are there ioctls that I can call the md to start rebuild without having to wait for an auto rebuild action.

My previous experience is the only way to fix is to freshly mkraid the array. I guess something wrong with the super block.

If I can manually dd a superblock into the new disks, I am fool the md driver to make it look like already in the array. However, I think I have to edit the event count and reboot the machine. Please suggests directions.

regards,
David Chow

If this doesn't work then what are the exact error messages?

Stephen