Re: RAID recovery

After you have replaced the drive, the raid will start in degraded mode using only one half of the mirror. It will not replace the failed drive automatically, even though that drive exists.

To answer your question make sure that you pass the correct path of the drive that you have just added as the argument to raidhotadd. From the looks of your configuration from your previous email, the drive will need to have the various slices created before it can be added to the existing raid setup.

Mikael Chambon wrote:

Hi again,

Here is my last question about RAID for now.

I saw a lot of docs about RAID installation, but I was not able to find
one which clearly explain what to do after a HD crash. Does someone has a
good link for me ?

For example, let's say I have two new IDE HD in a RAID1 array, raid-disk1
and
raid-disk2. If raid-disk1 crash, I have to (from linux-raid-How-to)

Power down the system
replace the failed disk
powerup the system
user raidhotadd to insert the new disk in the array as raid-disk1

But what should I do to make sure that raid-disk1 will reconstruct from raid-disk2 ? If raid-disk2 reconstruct from raid-disk1, I will lose all my data right ?

Thanks for all guys,

--
Mikael Chambon