Re: Checking consistency of Linux software RAID

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Martin Bene wrote:

> Is there any way to do this with SW raid? I truly hate situations where
> some sectors on a drive fail silently and you don't notice until a 2nd
> drive dies and you find you can't recostruct your raid data becaus of
> silent "bitrot".

Try

	badblocks -v -s /dev/md0

Check the man page for various options, etc.

You might actually want to read the raw partitions rather than reading
through the md driver - eg. badblocks /dev/hda1, etc. so do this twice for
each partition of a RAID1, and N times for each slice of a RAID5 ...

Gordon

-