Re: mdadm mail option configuration

At 08:53 AM 30/05/2002 +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> > >Why 600 (10 minutes)?? I would suggest 60seconds for normal operation
> > >and 1 second for testing.
> > Okay, changed. My choice was arbitrary, just assumed it would be
> > reasonable -- I'm moving it on to a heavily loaded production server
> > and the e-mail isn't constantly monitored so I assumed . . . .
>
>You assumed what?  Are you thinking that it wil send mail every $delay
>seconds if there is a problem, and you didn't want to be spammed?

No, I assumed there was no reason to add additional polling. If there is no
one around to read the e-mail, there seemed no reason to add to the number
of processes being run on a heavily loaded server. I expect the load of
polling is miniscule, but it all adds something.

>Mdadm only sends mail when it notices a drive fail, not when it
>notices that a drive is failed.
>i.e. if on one poll the drive is working, and on the next poll the
>drive is not working, then it sends mail saying "The drive just
>failed".
>
>So when you were testing, was "mdadm -Fs" actually running at the
>moment when you simulated a drive failure?

I certainly thought it was, but unfortunately I wasn't simulating. When I
saw that all of the partitions on sdb had been kicked out of the array, I
saw that mdadm -Fs was running, but the drive could have failed before a
reboot when mdadm might not have been running. When you confirmed that my
configuration was generally correct, I assumed that mdadm wasn't running or
that I had done something else wrong. When I can get the system running
again (lilo is hosed; looking at grub for boot raid?), I'll test and
promise to e-mail back.

Regards,

Jeff Hill

-