Re: Fw: DriveReady SeekComplete problems

From: Diamon

>     Unless those aren't ATA-100 cables and it's still using ATA-100 mode...
> I think ATA-66 or higher you need those 80-wire cables...  Just a thought.
> And the solid-core 80 pin cables don't handle folding well at all, maybe
> something's gone flaky in them?

True, although all ATA-66 + devices I've seen detected 40 wire cables and refused to work at high speed. But there might be an exception to that. That's no the case here though. They're all 80 pin, installed correctly - master drive connector on master drive, controller connector on controller end. The only possible part of your theory in my case may be problems with bending. I kept the cables fairly flat and straight, but they came tightly folded in the box.

The more I think about it the more it seems like the system not keeping up with the drives though. Isn't it strange that both my 2000+ Athlons MP run at < 2% idle when syncing array? Even in PIO mode, at 500K resync speed reported by /proc/mdstat. And nothing else runs on the machine, Just three consoles, raidrun on one, top on the other and occasional tail /var/log/messages on third to monitor log for error msgs.

When I let the drives supply data faster by enabling DMA (100 by default, but I've tried switching to 33 with same results), i start getting errors at 2000K resync speed. In slower PIO ar 500K resync things work ok with 4 drives, but 5 is too much - errors.

Artur

:.˛mkabzwmb˛mb)w*jgݢjGj:+vwjmwfh٥