Re: How to change the preferred minor

On  April 10, anielsen@diku.dk wrote:
> When I try to boot my box with disks which previously was configured in
> other machines md tries to autodetect which array should have a given
> minor number.
>
> I use the wonderful :-) mdadm -E and I can see a preferred minor value
> which is very nice, but since more than one array is competing for the
> same minor number it is kind of difficult for me to figure out what to
> put in my /etc/fstab.
>
> Therefore my question is: how do I change the preferred minor value on a
> array so I can prevent conflicts? I would of course like to be able to
> use mdadm for this job :-)

This would be one of the reasons that I neither use nor recommend RAID
autostart.  It is too dependant on the preferred-minor which is hard
to change.
I guess I could add an option to mdadm to change the preferred-minor
as it could be useful, but I'm not highly motivated.  Maybe a
--rewrite-superblock option to --assemble...

I recommend that you enumerate the uuids of your arrays, create
/etc/mdadm.conf to say which uuid matches which /dev/md? and use
 mdadm --assemble --scan
to assemble your arrays.

NeilBrown
-