Re: Floating Spare

SoulBlazer wrote:
> Can you share 2 or 3 'spare-disks' between multiple raid sets?
>
> Eg. I have a 22 disk array chopped into multiple 4 disk raid-5 volumes, this
> leaves me with 2 disks left over..  Can I assign these two drives as floating
> spares incase of failure.. this will obviously be a 'first come first serve'
> scenario for raid failure.. but its better then not using them.

I'm sure you could script something to that effect based on the current
RAID tools and their options/output...

If there's nothing like it already included (I haven't checked - and no
in-depth knowledge of raid tools either, so forgive any stupid remarks)
I could imagine a cron job checking the logs for disk failures and
hot-adding the "new" disk (one of the spares, if available).

Interesting idea!

Marcel

-