Re: raid5: switching cache buffer size log spam

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Neil Brown wrote:

> The current raid5 requires all requests that is recieves to be the
> same size.  If it gets requests of different sizes, it does cope but
> it needs to flush its stripe cache and start again.  This effectively
> serialises all requests around a request-size change.
> So it is probably fair to say that what you are trying to do is
> currently not a supported option.  It may be in 2.6 if we ever get
> raid5 working again in 2.5 :-)

i know the example i gave was kind of silly (growing a fs while also
making a snapshot of it and mounting the snapshot).  but fwiw, i also just
experienced the problem while i had a live filesystem, and i was creating
a second logical volume and doing mke2fs on the second logical volume.
this is an itsy bit more common usage scenario i think, but still not
terribly common i suppose.  it just means that some "online" operations
are really not a good idea because of the raid cache size issues.

> You could simply remove the printk and recompile and it might go a bit
> faster, but you would still be loosing lots of performance due to lost
> opportunities for concurrency.

i could probably also try to go bang e2fstools over the head and make them
agree with the ext3 kernel code access sizes :)

-dean

-