Re: Stuck in a weird RAID state

On Thursday April 4, jim@rubylane.com wrote:
> I started working with raid this week with 2.2.20 + raid patches.  I'm

Any reason for not using 2.4?? soft raid support is much better.

> using the raid tools that came with RH6x, because the current raidtools
> don't compile:
>
> gcc -O2 -Wall -DMD_VERSION=\""raidtools-0.90"\" -c -o detect_multipath.o detect_multipath.c
> scsi.c:38: scsi/scsi_ioctl.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scsi.o] Error 1
> detect_multipath.c:49: scsi/scsi_ioctl.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [detect_multipath.o] Error 1

<plug>
Try mdadm:
   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdadm/
It makes soft raid management much easier.
</plug>

> The raid drives are hda+hdg.  I have hda marked failed in raidtab and
> only use it (temporarily) to boot.  Somehow I've managed to get my
> system in a state where it thinks hda is in the raid, yet it doesn't
> show in mdstat and can't be removed with raidhotremove.

If it isn't in /proc/mdstat then it isn't in the raid array.  The
system doesn't think it is.

If you cannot then mount /dev/hda2 there must be some other reason.
Do you get any message in the kernel log?

> The raid stuff looks very useful, but I have gotten into many weird
> states, with complaints about short reads, file system size doesn't
> match superblock size/partition size, and this problem of "not in
> but in".

"filesystem size doesn't match partition size" suggests that you
created a filesystem on some partition, then included that partition
in a RAID1 array and expected the filesystem to still work.
A RAID1 array is about 128K smaller than the component partitions, to
allow for the raid superblock, so this cannot work.

NeilBrown
-