Re: mdadm 0.8 suggestions

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 12:10:22PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> I would really like to make a 1.0 release soon.  You can help by:
>  - read the documentation (both --help and *.man) and comment on what
>    is missing and what can be clarified.
>  - test the code.  Try all your favourite usage patterns, and try some
>    obscure things to and see if it does the right thing.
>  - read the code and look for bits that don't seem to make sense.  If
>    they don't seem to make sense, then they are probably wrong.

You might add a README or INSTALL file which says

to build the tools issue the command

    make

to install the tools issue the command

    make install

I know this seems rather obvious but many people will look for
README or INSTALL to tell them what to do.

In the FAQ you might add:

Q. Why won't the code compile with compiler optimization turned on (-O2)
   under gcc 2.96 (redhat special), gcc 2.95.3, or gcc 3.04?

A. Remove '-Werror' from CFLAGS in the Makefile.  The usage of minsize
   and maxsize in Create.c leads the compiler to stop due to a
   perceived error.

A. Alternately, re-write the code to make the compilers happy, and
   post it to the linux-raid list.

In Manage.c line 132 'int i' is declared.  On line 155 it is referenced.
Where is it set?

In Create.c line 58 declares 'int i' and it is referenced on lines 131 &
132 without an intervening assignment.  At least so far as I can tell.
-