Re: [LARGE] Something strange with booting from raid1 .

	Hello Maurice ,

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Maurice Hilarius wrote:
> With regards to your message at 08:52 PM 3/30/02, Mr. James W. Laferriere.
> Where you stated:
> >         I have a MB that allows me to redirect all bios output to the
> >         serial port & have set it up to do so .  This system will be
> >         placed well offsite and away from helping hands .  I have read &
> >         setup (afaict) the lilo.conf appropriately per serial-console.txt
> >         and have run 'lilo -v 3' .  The system is running a bootable raid1 .
> >         What is happening is the serial console is not working when using
> >         the kernel on the raid .  It is like the lilo commands are not
> >         being run against the md device at all .
> >         The kernel on the md device is 2.4.19-pre3 .
> When you pass your parameters to the kernel, like:
> root=/boot/vmlinuz.gz "console=/dev/ttyS0,19,200"
> Are you enclosing the parameters in quotes?
	I have placed the parameters in lilo.conf & run lilo .

	I can see I need to explain better what is/has been happening .

	The on disk kernel will not finish booting .  So in an attempt to
	capture the output to put on the linux-kernel & linux-raid lists .
	I have been attempting to get the 'kernel' that s/b booting to use
	the serial console .  I'll need this functionality later anyway .

	I have had to resort to using a rescue boot cdrom that allows me
	to boot using its kernel (2.4.5 based) and set the root=/dev/md0
	and to set console=/dev/ttyS0,9600 .  When I boot using the rescue
 	cdrom all comes up well .

	In order to run a lilo (that understands 'device = /dev/md0') on
	the boot disks in question I have to have lilo-21_8 or better , I
	chose lilo-22_2 .  The lilo on the cdrom is lilo-21_7 and is not
	capable of the device statement I mentioned above .

	When I run the lilo command against the kernels on the system with
	actual partitions mounted & then reboot the changes in the
	lilo.conf are NOT reflected in that next reboot .  IE: it is as if
	I had never modified the lilo.conf or run lilo on those bootable
	partitions .  I hope this makes the difficulty I am seeing clearer .

	I have during this converse remembered that I can do the same at
	the boot: command of the offending kernel as well .  So I shall
	post the output from that shortly .

		Tia ,  JimL