Problems with fsck on boot

I setup a 700GB file system on a Compaq Alpha box running RedHat 7.1
with all patches (kernel 2.4.9-31smp).  I set it up as a linear device
containing two 12 disk RAID5 stripes (1 disk in each as a hot spare).
I also have a 4 disk RAID5 with one disk as a hot spare.

When I reboot the fsck for the smaller volume is fine, but the fsck
for the big filesystem fails saying something to the effect that the
file system reports having more blocks than the device does.  I am
using a 32K chunk size and newfs'ed the volume using:

   mke2fs -B 4096 -R stride=8 /dev/md2

I can still mount the file system just fine and I did an fsck by hand
using 'fsck -C -f -a /dev/md2' and it reported no errors.  I've tried
building the file system a couple times and it's always the same.
When I built it using just one of the RAID5 strips it works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

   Chris

-