Faulty marks.

Is there some documentation somewhere about how disks
get marked faulty?

I have an array on a computer that crashed.  When
it came back up I restarted the array (8/9 disks)
and then added the disk that was marked "faulty" (disk 2).  Part way
through the rebuild, the machine crashed again, so
I went through and tested all the disks.  As it turns
out, disk 4 was causing the machine to crash and could
only be read 1/2 way through.
Nothing was wrong with disk 2.

As a result, I now have one bad disk and one half-way reconstructed
disk.   Of course, I've got backups, but what should be my M.O.
for disk recovery after a crash?  Unmark all faults, try restarting
the array with all disks?  Test every disk in the array individually
before restarting the array?

Thanks.

-Frank