Re: RAID1+LVM

> I am trying to set up RAID1 (software RAID)+ LVM on SuSE 7.3. We seem to
> get
> both of them working seperatly, but not
> both together. When using Yast2 we get some problems with the partition
> types.
> Has anyone set this up? What we would like to know is in what order things
> should be set up.
> We do get it to work (somewhat) if we set up RAID1 first, and then
> implement
> LVM, though we suspect that the LVM will
> "hold" the RAID in that case, meaning a stop of RAID will not be working.

> Our first thougts was to set up LVM and then create RAID on the partitions
> we
> want mirrored - could be we are thinking the
> wrong way. After setting up RAID1, and then LVM, we get a "device buzy"
> reply
> when trying `raidstop`
> Can anyone cast some light on this subject?

I set up RAID1 + LVM with YaST2 without any problems. In the expert
partitioner
you should at first create identical partitions on both hard disks. If they
have a different geometry, you should enforce hdc's geometry by passing
appropriate
kernel boot parameters, eg. "hda=239340,16,63".

My hard disks (IBM IC35L120AVVA07-0, 120GB) look like this:

Disk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 239340 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1      2081   1048792+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/hda2          2082      3000    463176   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3          3001    239340 119115360   fd  Linux raid autodetect

Then I set up two RAID arrays, /dev/md0 consisting of /dev/hda1 and
/dev/hdc1,
which, formatted with ReiserFS, became / (root). I added /dev/md1, which
consists of /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdc3, as the only physical volume to a single
volume group, /dev/vggroup. Then I created logical volumes within the
VGGroup
for /usr, /var, /tmp, /home and /space, which is where I store the large
data.
These vggroups were assigned the appropriate mountpoints and formatted with
ReiserFS as well. All within YaST2 of SuSE 7.3.

The reason / is on a seperate RAID-1 array without LVM is that current LVM
versions can't unmount a logical volume that is mounted as / (root) ...
--
Pieter Hollants <nospam417 at hollants.com>

-