Re: perfomance on IDE-Raid

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 02:44:36PM -0500, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> I suppose there is an exception to everything.  However, I don't
> think your friend's experience was typical.  Software RAID can be
> "easy" if you let something like Redhat's anaconda do all the dirty
> work and then you don't fiddle with the system.  However, when you
> need to do anything to the kernel or if you have problems with a disk
> or conflicting versions of software/kernel, it can be a complete pain
> in the ass (I have been using Linux software RAID since 1997 or so).
> My experience has been that RAID frequently gets broken as the kernel
> matures so you have to be extremely careful about updating things.
> In contrast, my RAID installs onto 3ware and Mylex hardware RAID cards
> have been relatively uneventful, even when drives have failed down the
> road.

Based upon my limited experience with basically the same types of setups
(software RAID, 3Ware and Mylex RAID cards) I have to agree.

I'd be very scared if the software-RAID boot disk failed, but if a disk
failed on my hardware controller, the array still looks the same to the
software so booting up won't be a problem.

Say you had a simple RAID1 setup mirroring /dev/hda and /dev/hdc and
/dev/hda goes out.  What do you do, then?  With a hardware RAID controller
you don't have to worry about it, but maybe I just don't have the right
knowledge in this case.  Can you plug /dev/hdc into /dev/hda, put the new
drive into /dev/hdc?  What about LILO/GRUB?  According to the Software RAID
HOWTO the best alternative is to use a floppy to boot, but floppies aren't
exactly known for their reliability.  Also, can you boot off anything other
than RAID1?  The howto doesn't say you can...

Now if you want a RAID setup on a non-boot disk, then I don't hesitate at
all to recommend software RAID, I have this running on a number of machines
here at work.

-Dave
-