Re: Q: Booting /dev/sda (3ware 7850) fails? Ideas?

>   I'm looked through the archives a bit, but with no luck - I'm having
> trouble booting off my 3ware 7850 controller, and I'd appreciate any
> advice anyone has.
>
>   I can boot off a diskette, but whenever I try to run off the array
> itself, my computer hangs - it doesn't even display the start of a GRUB
> (or lilo) loader message.  In fact, it seems to keep trying to poll the
> floppy.  (Yes, I do have the 3ware in the boot sequence in BIOS)

[snip]

Are you sure you're using a kernel that has built-in support for
the 3Ware card?  Most recent vintage kernels do.  Have you tried
a monolithic kernel instead of loading it as a module?  Do you have
the same problem if you put the /boot partition within the first
1024 cylinders of the virtual drive?  When you installed the system,
did you use a driver disk for the card?  Have you tried looking
at the FAQ in the support area of http://www.3ware.com/ ?

I am booting off the 7x50 and 68** cards on many machines using
Redhat 7.0/7.1/7.2.  I've not tried Mandrake.

Cheers,

-