badblocks & raid

have a disk that seems to have bad sectors:

hdd: dma_intr: status=0x71 { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete Error }
hdd: dma_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hdd: DMA disabled
ide1: reset: success
hdd: set_geometry_intr: status=0x71 { DriveReady DeviceFault
SeekComplete Error }
hdd: set_geometry_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide1: reset: success
hdd: set_geometry_intr: status=0x71 { DriveReady DeviceFault
SeekComplete Error }
hdd: set_geometry_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:41 (hdd), sector 56223488
hdd: recal_intr: status=0x71 { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete Error
}
hdd: recal_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
ide1: reset: success
hdd: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: dma_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=23844548,
sector=23844480

and so on, for a number of sectors.
This drive, hdd, has one partition, hdd1 that participates in a md0
array.
Let's assume I can't just get rid of the drive that has problems, I have
to keep it and it has to stay in the array. If it wasn't part of the
array, I could run a badblocks -w test, find the numbers of the failing
sectors and feed them to mke2fs/e2fsck or whatever other utility the
filesystem on hdd1 has for marking bad blocks, and the problem would
(hopefully) end there.

However, since hdd1 is part of the array, I suppose it's not possible to
run badblocks on that single device and then somehow map the blocks on
hdd1 to blocks on md0, especially since it's striping, raid-0, right? Is
there some way to find out which sectors of md0 are on this drive, so I
can limit the range of sectors to run badblocks on? Running badblocks
read+write on such a huge device with can take ages.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they are also welcome :)

Cajoline Leblanc
cajoline at chaosengine dot de

-