RE: raidreconf

Hi Jakob,

> Also, every now and then someone says they will try it out,
> but I have yet to
> get a failure report (and I kind of miss success reports as
> well  - hint ! ;)

I just started playing with the raidreconf tool, I've tried to use it for adding a 3rd disk to a two-disk raid0 stripeset.

result: if the raidtab is correct, expansion works great.

caveat: I've also managed to use it to completely trash the contents of a stripeset: if the sequence of drives in raidtab doesn't match the actual setup, raidreconf doesn't detect this and happily scrambles your data.

example:
raidtab used to create the original array:
raiddev             /dev/md3
raid-level                  0
nr-raid-disks               2
chunk-size                  32
persistent-superblock       1
    device          /dev/hdb5
    raid-disk     0
    device          /dev/hda5
    raid-disk     1

raidtab used when expanding the array:
======================================
raiddev             /dev/md3
raid-level                  0
nr-raid-disks               2
chunk-size                  32
persistent-superblock       1
    device          /dev/hda5
    raid-disk     0
    device          /dev/hdb5
    raid-disk     1

Result: scrambled data.

While noone would consciously do something like that, it's a situation fairly easy to get into if disks were moved around. Examples: different controller, moving disks between ide cables.

So: be very sure that the sequence of disks in your raidtab matches your running array before atempting to use raidreconf.

Bye, Martin
PS: just for the record: I didn't loose any data, I set this case up just to see if raidreconf would catch it :-)