Re: plan/timeline for a release

On 04.06.19 19:42, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
On Fri, 2019-05-31 at 16:59 +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
Hi all,

I've been testing pulse with the new Intel SOF [1] audio drivers (that are
going to 5.2 kernel).

In my tests, e.g. system suspend/stress tests work much better on latest
master of pulseaudio, compared to test with latest released Pulseaudio.

At least this patch in PA master has a big improvement:
"alsa: Improve resume logic after alsa suspend"
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/f7b3537bbf9a6916ee3fd72a82025519b4c346f5

With that introduction, any plans for an official Pulseaudio release this
year? It seems there are many patches in master (like the above) and time
has passed since 12.2.

[1] https://thesofproject.github.io/
There are no concrete plans at the moment, but we certainly should make
a release this year (preferably two). According to the usual process we
should have started preparing the release last October, but somehow
that didn't happen... The reason I didn't push for a release last fall
was that there's a certain feature that I secretly wanted to get in
first, and that's still not done. There hasn't been much pressure from
other people either.

I think we could freeze master now. I don't want to block the release
waiting for any features, such as the A2DP codec stuff. Arun, Georg,
what are your thoughts?

I'd like to have the messaging patches in the upcoming release.
It should not be too much work to review them and I think I fixed
all issues you found during your last review (except one that you
can probably fix easily when pushing the patches).
Otherwise I would be fine with freezing master and preparing
a new release. Do we have any blocker bugs?