Re: [ANNOUNCE] pavucontrol 4.0

On Wed, 2019-03-06 at 11:48 +0100, NicoHood wrote:
> On 3/5/19 5:12 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> >  * There can now be only one pavucontrol window open at a time.
> >    Trying to start pavucontrol for a second time brings the
> >    first window to foreground.
>
> Hi,
> This "fix" is really a problem for me:
>
> I have 6 audio sinks with pulseaudio installed in my appartment. I am
> really happy that I can control each of them via pavucontrol using the
> PULSE_SERVER environment variable option.
>
> When I need to debug something I usually have more windows of
> pavucontrol open, for multiple devices. Now this does not work anymore
> which is super annoying.
>
> My suggestion is to check for the PULSE_SERVER and only have unique
> windows for each host. So If you want to run pulseaudio for localhost
> multiple times only one instance is open, but you can still open
> pavucontrol for other remote destinations (also only one for each host).
>
> If that suggestion is too complicated to implement I would kindly
> request to revert the recent fix. :S

We give GLib the application ID (org.pulseaudio.pavucontrol), and GLib
then implements all the activation magic using that ID. We could append
the server string to the application ID. I quickly tried setting a
bogus ID, and that didn't seem to break anything (I noticed that
running the pavucontrol command for a second time doesn't bring the
window to foreground on my machine, though, but that doesn't seem to be
related to the unusual application ID, because reverting back to the
normal ID doesn't work any better).

So, I think I'll make a patch that appends the server string to the
application ID, even though messing with the application ID feels quite
"wrong".

--
Tanu

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk