Re: R: New equalizer module (module-eqpro-sink), some questions

On Tue, 2018-11-06 at 21:14 +0000, Andrea A wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the reply
>
> > If the preset files are expected to be shared between users, then the
> database.h stuff isn't good, because different users can have their
> pulseaudio configured with different database formats. I like the "ini-
> style" configuration file style that pulseaudio uses for .conf files.
> There are no helpers for writing those files, though, but that's
> probably not a big issue.
>
> I can write a parser for ini-style file however since PA is
> multiplatform I need some information about how to store user and
> system settings. System settings can be hardcoded at least, but the
> directory of user config depends on the platform I think.

pa_open_config_file() can be used to open a file from the per-user
configuration directory, or if the file doesn't exist there, then
pa_open_config_file() will open the file from the system configuration
directory.

src/pulsecore/conf-parser.h provides an API for reading ini-style
files.

By the way, can you switch to plain text emails? With your quoting
style it's a bit hard to separate your own text from the quoted text.

> > I would love to have the equalizer as a LADSPA plugin
>
> My fear is that a LADSPA plugin will be too hard to use for a lot of
> desktop users. I think that a GNU desktop user would like to have a
> fully working audio equalizer in his distribution and PA is default
> in almost all GNU distributions. Configuring a LADSPA plugin may be
> hard and boring for the average user and GNU will continue to don't
> have a standard equalizer. Beyond the issues you've already listed.

(Alexander addressed this concern.)

> > It's not very uncommon that some core
> change requires changes in all sinks, so even if the module is perfect
> and doesn't require maintenance in form of bug fixes, there are other
> kinds of real maintenance costs.
>
> As far as I know the actual equalizer is deprecated so if this mine
> equalizer will be adequate I think that the actual can be substitute
> and the number of modules to maintain will not change.

Ok, but then I can make the argument that we have a chance to reduce
the number of filter sinks by one :)

--
Tanu

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk