Bluetooth A2DP aptX codec quality

Hi Valdik

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM, ValdikSS <iam at valdikss.org.ru> wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 19:03, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>>> 2) Should we rather look at increasing quality of SBC codec in
>>> pulseaudio? And if yes, how should be quality of SBC configured? Via
>>> profiles? Or to invent some new protocol options? Can we increase
>>> default SBC bitpool allocation?
>>
>> I recall setting it to 64 before, but perhaps we are using 53 given
>> that most headset set that as maximum influenced by the spec suggested
>> values, I wouldn't go above 512kbit/s since then leave very little
>> room for any other traffic.
>
> I propose to use 76 bitpool as a default maximum (454.8 kbps for Joint Stereo, 44.1 kHz, 8 subbands, 16 blocks). This bitpool is optimal for both EDR 2 mbit/s and EDR 3 mbit/s modes, since it packs audio frames with least wasted bytes possible.
> EDR 2 mbit/s: up to 4 audio frames, 11.7 ms, 2 wasted bytes
> EDR 3 mbit/s: up to 6 audio frames, 17.5 ms, 14 wasted bytes.

That is a bit too hight I would say, and not sure if there would be
any headset to make use of it.

> Note that Pulseaudio/bluez (not sure which) does not manage L2CAP MTU correctly. For EDR 2 mbit/s, MTU should be set to 679 (ignoring higher values upon negotiation), and EDR 3 mbit/s should use 1021 (right now something like 800 is used).

We could do that if we know the packet type used by the link but that
is not how it is currently done in BlueZ, we always use L2CAP default
in case the socket don't set it:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git/tree/include/net/bluetooth/l2cap.h#n34

Where did you get these values from btw?