Decode SPDIF compressed formats

> No, I don't think there's currently any code to read the status bits
> from the alsa mixer.

But in general, if one wants to passthrow unmodified uncompressed PCM data
from S/PDIF-in to HDMI, shouldn't he know the source sample rate to
correctly open the output device?
Do I understand it correct that the only way to implement this scenario
with PA is to indirrectly measure the sample rate by comparing the
pa_bytes_to_usec() result against the actual time passed?
If the source is opened with 48000 sample rate, but produces the data at
44100 rate, will I receive a buffer underflow error on the source?

Best regards,
Denis Shulyaka