module-raop-sink problem (and kindly asking for help)

On 2017-01-04 18:41, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-01-01 at 19:30 +0100, Linux User #330250 wrote:
>> What did not work was to add option
>> sink_properties='device.description="AirPort Express"' -- the module
>> always failed to load that way. I am also not able to change its name
>> later, using:
>>
>> pacmd update-sink-proplist raop.AirPort device.description="AirPort Express"
>>
>> only writes "Failed to parse proplist." I also tried module.description,
>> which also failed.
> The failure is probably because of quoting issues. I'm not sure what
> was wrong when you tried to add the sink_properties argument when
> definitely fail, because the quotes around "AirPort Express" will be
> removed by the shell, so pulseaudio will see this:
>
>      device.description=AirPort Express
>
> "Express" gets interpreted as a property name, and parsing fails
> because it's not followed by '='.

Impressive! Thanks, that was it!

I've tried to move around ' and ", I even escaped the " (as \") and the
whitespace, but to no avail.

This works:
pactl load-module module-raop-sink server=airport sink_name=raop.AirPort
sink_properties="device.description=AirPort"

(This also works with ' instead of ", but neither works with a whitespace.)

Thanks!

>> My questions:
>>
>> 1. What should I try or what have I done wrong in the first place?
>>
>> 2. Is there a way to get steady sound output to the RAOP device and how
>> do I configure this?
> I don't have answers to these questions.
>
>> 3. Is there a way to set the sink statically (without
>> module-raop-discover which gets the wrong IP addresses and creates two
>> devices with it) and to automatically set this up with the start of
>> pulseaudio?
> You can add modules to /etc/pulse/default.pa.

I've added the above line as load-module in /etc/pulse/default.pa. I
will see if it worked with the next boot+login.

The one thing that remains unclear to me so far is how it autoloads in
the first place, because I cannot find any raop modules in the config
files in /etc/pulse. I assume that module-raop-discover does the magic,
but it does it wrong, so I would like to blacklist this module and
manually load the modules-raop-sink instead. Only, I couldn't find a
blacklist syntax for default.pa (or system.pa). I found
"disallow-module-loading true" which prevents all module loading. I
could try unload-module, but how will this prevent a later invoked
automatic module loading? I hope that the manual line in
/etc/pulse/default.pa will prevent the module-raop-discover magic from
now on, otherwise I can only think of renaming module-raop-discover in
the file system.

Thanks so far,

Linux User #330250  aka  Andreas