sound volume for recording

On Sat, 2016-09-17 at 13:53 +0200, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I record sound from flash stream using pulseaudio.
> This is the command I use for recording sound:
> pacat --record -d alsa_output.pci-0000_00_06.0.analog-stereo.monitor
> | sox -t raw -r 44100 -s -L -b 16 -c 2 - "output.wav".
>
> I use pavucontrol to control sound volumes for recording and playing
> the sound.
> In playback tab: ALSA plugin volume; in Recording tab: pacat: pacat
> from Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo; in Output devices tab:
> Built-in Audio Analog Stereo Port: Line Out (plugged in).
>
> The problem is when I change the output volume in the output tab
> (Output devices tab: Built-in Audio Analog Stereo Por) it changes the
> recording volume too, therefore I can't change the listening volume
> level when I record sound.
>
> How could I make recording volume independent from the output volume
> I listen to?

Maybe this would work:

pactl load-module module-virtual-sink sink_name=pizza master=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_06.0.analog-stereo use_volume_sharing=false

That will load a virtual sink that forwards the audio to the alsa sink.
The virtual sink will have its own monitor source that isn't affected
by the alsa sink volume.

Move the flash stream to the pizza sink and record from pizza.monitor,
and when you need to change the output volume, use the alsa sink for
that.

--
Tanu