Support for buttons on USB headsets?

My USB headsets have mute, volume up and volume down buttons exposed
with an HID interface. When I use them with Ubuntu/PulseAudio nothing
happens.
Wondering if this is not supported at all, if my config is broken or if
a manual setup is required as described in [1] - a basic workaround to
link keycodes and alsamixer. If PulseAudio had this information it could
do a much better job.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
-Pierre