Pulseaudio not available on D-BUS ??

I found this in the doc
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/Developer/Clients/DBus/ConnectingToServer/)

When a client wants to connect to a server, it reads the
$PULSE_DBUS_SERVER environment variable, which contains a server
address or a list of addresses, as specified in the D-Bus
Specification, section Server Addresses. The client should be able to
use the string directly as the address parameter of the underlying
D-Bus library's connect function.

If $PULSE_DBUS_SERVER is not set, the client reads the Address
property (part of the org.PulseAudio.ServerLookup1 interface) of
object /org/pulseaudio/server_lookup1. The destination of the call is
org.PulseAudio1.

I don't have PULSE_DBUS_SERVER set in my environment, and I can't read
anything on the bus, so I'm stuck... I tried the python code given on
the wiki page, but I get

dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.PulseAudio1
was not provided by any .service files

so the documentation is either out of date, or my system is broken
(though all my audio goes through pulseaudio without problem...)