Optical surround sound.

I have an intel hd audio based systemboard, in fedora 17 I followed
http://www.johannes-bauer.com/linux/dolby/  to get 5.1 surround working on
the optical out.  It worked great until I removed nvidia drivers due to
some problems in X and would no longer start x.  I installed fedora 19 and
followed the notes I had taken when I originally got it working.  I am not
able to get the optical to list as 5.1 again in fedora 19 Any suggestions
would be appriciated.

in pulse audio volume control if you select 5.1 analog there is no option
to select port digital output.  it lists that as a seperate device.
digital out is listed as a 2 channel device. When it was working in 17 I
have 5.1 and 2 channel versions.

in my notes I had to add packages

a52dec  @ rpmfusion-free
a52dec-dev @rpmfusion-free
alsa-plugins-freeworld-a52 @ rpmfusion-free

ffmpeg @ atrpms
libavcodec52/53/54
libavdevice52/53/54
libpostproc52

I edited my alsaconfig  and added most of what was listed in that article
which got the upconversion on all audio that wasn't already 5.1.  My amp
listed it as 5.1 audio all the time and it sounded a bit richer as well as
some improved positional on 2ch sound. My only downside was a few apps like
twinkle voip client couldent figure out how to use the mike? or would want
exclusive access to the sound system.  I would also like to find a way to
fix that so that all apps could happily share even if it is creating a
virtual sound device for those apps to use and it gets mixed in with all
the rest of the sound.

My current device list which does have the added parts from the alsa config
for upmixing and pavucontrol does list the sections I added but is not
using them.  I have also edited the dameon.conf to set default sample rate
lfe upmix and default channels to 6  with no change.

pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
upmix51
    Upmixer channel expander