Mono Upmixing Only

On 04/04/2013 10:00 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> David Henningsson <david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the primary objection was not that there was a use case or need
>> for the mono-upmix-only option. The objection was mostly that having a
>> "enable-remixing = no" option that actually did remixing would be quite
>> confusing.
>
>> http://www.sersc.org/journals/IJSIP/vol2_no4/7.pdf
>
> Good document, thanks. And independent from Dolby. And describes more than one upmixing method.
>
> So, can we call the following proposal a consensus?
>
> 1. Rename the enable-remixing options to something (e.g. remixing-method) that does not look boolean. Obviously, rename its values.

If we already have enable-remixing and enable-lfe-remixing, perhaps we
should add another y/n option named enable-mono-upmixing ?

> 2. If there is still time, propose the implementation of all upmixing methods described in that paper as a GSoC project.

I don't think it makes sense to implement *all* the upmixing methods. I
think it's better to select one and implement that one.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic