strange pulse / jack behaviour

On Thu, November 1, 2012 5:45 am, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> with
>>> error :

>>> "RequestRelease"
>>> doesn't
>>
>> For some reason pulseaudio isn't handling the dbus messages. You could
>> attach "pulseaudio -vvv" output, maybe the log contains something
>> related error messages.
>>
>>> module-jackdbus-detect is supposed to release the lock on the device
>>> when
>>> jackdbus (jackd2) starts and then auto reconfigure and connect to
>>> jackdbus/jackd2 loading the jack-sink/source modules once
>>> jackdbus/jackd2
>>> has successfully started.
>>
>> FYI, actually module-jackdbus-detect isn't involved with the device
>> releasing. That part is implemented directly in the alsa modules. For
>> some reason pulseaudio isn't handling the dbus messages, you could
>> attach "pulseaudio -vvv" output, maybe the log contains something
>> related error messages.
>>

> Hmm,
>
> - Disabling autospawn and running pulseaudio -vvv  allows jackd to start.
>
> pulse
> ++++
> I: [pulseaudio] client.c: Created 12 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
> D: [pulseaudio] protocol-dbus.c: Interface org.PulseAudio.Core1.Client
> added for object /org/pulseaudio/core1/client12
> I: [pulseaudio] client.c: Freed 12 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
> I: [pulseaudio] protocol-native.c: Connection died.
> D: [pulseaudio] protocol-dbus.c: Interface org.PulseAudio.Core1.Client
> removed from object /org/pulseaudio/core1/client12
> D: [pulseaudio] reserve-wrap.c: Device lock status of
> reserve-monitor-wrapper at Audio0 changed: busy
> ++++
>
> jack
> ++++
> Acquire audio card Audio0
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2
> periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
> little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
> little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
> ++++

- I now have the following configuration:

1: pulseaudio has autospawn disabled and is running from the commandline
with pulseaudio -vvv
2: qjackctl is running jackd ( jack2 - 1.9.9 )
3: I have enabled dbus in the misc settings tab of qjackctl
4: There is no pulse jack-sink/source i/o's in the jack connections graph.
5: I can run other jack apps

So, by running pulseaudio from the commandline it will release the device
for jack when requested and obtain it again when jack is stopped.

It's not ideal but I hope this gives some ideas on what the issue is with
pulse and jack on debian wheezy.

- This stuff below only happens if I try to start jack_lsp or another app
over ssh. I don't see this problem when running apps from the desktop. So
it's probably safe to ignore this behaviour at the moment as it might be
specific to jack and not have anything to do with pulse.