Pulseaudio sound card's unique identifier

On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 11:20 +0900, Amar Akshat wrote:
> Hi Tanu,
>
> I am attaching an output of pactl list, which contains all the sources
> and sinks detected when a speaker having 4 identical sound cards was
> plugged in.
>
> Sinks 1 to 5, are the Speaker sinks,
>
> alsa.card_name = "C-Media USB Headphone Set"
> alsa.long_card_name = "C-Media USB Headphone Set at
> usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.1.3, full speed"
>
> card_name is same for all sound cards, and long_card_name includes the
> usb address, which again is dependent upon the system.
>
> Is there some serial number component, like mac-id in network devices,
> which is unique for sound cards ?

There is supposed to be a serial number that you can query on USB
devices, but this is often either not populated or populated the same
across devices.

This is a long-standing problem to which there unfortunately isn't an
easy solution, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Arun