Streaming between two WinXP machines

On May 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:

> > The speaker machine immediately gives me "modules/module-tunnel.c:
> > stream died" regardless of whether or not the microphone machine has PA
> > running.
>
> That's odd. If PA is not running, I would expect it to be impossible to
> establish a TCP connection between the two machines, and "stream died"
> should be printed only after the TCP connection has been established.

I agree, but that's certainly what it's doing.

> > The microphone machine seems to come up working properly, indicating No
> > Error on socket-server.  However, as soon as I start PA on the speaker
> > machine, the microphone machine gives me "pulsecore/protocol-native.c:
> > protocol error, kicking client" and exits.
>
> What version are you using? I think the tunnel module was broken (maybe
> only for sources, I don't remember) in 1.0 or 1.1. If you're using 2.0
> or the latest git version, then this is a new bug.

I'm using the latest Windows binaries from the download site.  Judging from
the file name, I would say they're version 1.1.  Could that be the problem?
Are there 2.0 binaries available?

> > Since I haven't defined any protocols, I'm not sure where the error
> > comes into play.  Do you have any idea what could be going on?
>
> It's a violation of the native protocol. If you have protocol errors,
> they are a bug in Pulseaudio. There's nothing that you can do, except
> help with figuring out what exactly is broken (the error messages are
> awfully uninformative...)

I'm happy to help troubleshoot any way I can, but rely on your guidance how
to gather useful information.