alsa: split up 6-channel streams into 3 stereo pairs?

Hi,

A 6-channel audio device I wrote support announces a single ALSA
subdevice that has to be opened as a whole in order to access all six
channels. However, I would like to offer the channels as three pairs of
stereo (for both directions), so stereo clients can be routed to each of
them individually.