Build system: Makefile.am patches

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 25/01/11 11:30 did gyre and gimble:
> 2011/1/23 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 20/01/11 18:10 did gyre and gimble:
>> Yeah the first patch was as I expected. It broke make distcheck.
>>
>> It also generates all these warnings which are a pain...
>>
>>  CCLD   libpulsecore-1.0.la
>>  CC     cli.lo
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/rtp: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/gconf: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/bluetooth: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/oss: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/alsa: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/raop: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/x11: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/jack: No such file or directory
>> cc1: warning: ../src/modules/dbus: No such file or directory
>>

>> With the patch reverted, the following works fine:
>>
>> git clone git://blah
>> cd pulseaudio
>> ./autogen.sh -V
>> mkdir dc
>> cd dc
>> ../configure
>> make distcheck
>
> Ah, yes. I was looking for such a recipe.
> I have now made a new patch series where make distcheck works.
>
>> With this patch applied, the above fails.
>>
>> So I'm afraid it's a NAK unless you can inject some Makefile.am foo to
>> create the necessary folders automatically (my AM foo it too weak and
>> the Makefile.am's were the way I found to do this)
>>

>> FWIW, the actual error that breaks things is:
>>
>> LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/intltool-merge -d -u -c ../po/.intltool-merge-cache
>> ../../po ../../src/daemon/pulseaudio.desktop.in daemon/pulseaudio.desktop
>> Generating and caching the translation database
>> Merging translations into daemon/pulseaudio.desktop.
>> Died at /usr/bin/intltool-merge line 1174, <PO_FILE> line 92665.
>> make[4]: *** [daemon/pulseaudio.desktop] Error 2
>
> The workaround for this is indeed just to make src/daemon in the builddir.
>
>> which is really an upstream bug (IMO) I reported here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/intltool/+bug/605826
>>
>> If you can provide a patch to Makefile.am that basically does all the
>> necessary mkdir'ing on the build tree, then I'd happily support dropping
>> these superfluous Makefile.am's
>>
>> I'll reply in a separate branch of the thread on the other patch which
>> I'm testing now :)
>>
>> Col
>
> So the first patch does the mkdir'ing of src/daemon and src/modules in
> the builddir. Also the symdef.h files are now made in the src/modules
> directory, so there is no need to make all the subdirectories. I hope
> that's OK. It means that the include directories in AM_CFLAGS can be
> reduced quite a bit.
>
> Whether it should be srcdir or builddir in AM_CFLAGS has been a source
> of confusion in the past:
> [...]

Great work Maarten! I'll review and apply as soon as I can, tho' due to
various commitments that likely wont be for a few days.

Thanks as always, we're all very thankful for the contributions you've
made of late - keep up the good work :D

Col

--

Colin Guthrie