Make discoverable PA network sound devices available locally results in huge network traffic

I have a laptop (Ubuntu 10.10) who's sound I would like to go to my workstation
(also Ubuntu 10.10) so on the laptop in paprefs I have selected "Make
discoverable PulseAudio network sound devices available locally" enabled.

The moment I select that, watching a packet dump (i.e. tcpdump) reveals a huge
amount of traffic between the machines.  By huge I mean a constant spew of
hundreds of packets per second.

This happens regardless of whether there is sound being played or not.

Is this really normal and expected?

Cheers,
b.