pavucontrol and DISPLAY variable

'Twas brillig, and Dr. Adrian Wrigley at 17/01/11 18:05 did gyre and gimble:
> Dr. Adrian Wrigley wrote:
>> I am attempting to invoke pavucontrol on a particular X server by
>> setting the DISPLAY environment variable.
>>
>> DISPLAY=192.168.1.3:2.0 pavucontrol
>
> I needed to set the following environment variable too:
> PULSE_SERVER=Machine1
>
>> This produces three messages in the xterm:
>>
>> (pavucontrol:3897): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not
>> started at session startup.
>> (pavucontrol:3897): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.
>> (pavucontrol:3897): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
>
> The Pulesaudio applications work OK now, once the PULSE_SERVER is set.
> But I still get the above warning messages.  How can I avoid these
> warnings?

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. Don't know what they are :s

>> Other Pulse utility programs such as pavumeter fail similarly.
>> --
>> Adrian Wrigley
>>
>> Machine1 is running Knoppix 6.4.3 DVD started in Gnome
>> Machine2 is running Debian Squeeze on amd64 running KDE
>
> I had been confused by the atk-bridge warnings, which seem to
> have misdirected my search for a solution!

Yeah.

FWIW, if you want a little detail of why the DISPLAY variable affects
things, I wrote a bit about that stuff, including remote X11 displays
and SSH, here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/08/sound-on-linux-is-confusing-defuzzing-part-2-pulseaudio/

All the best

Col