Trying to get Pukseaudio playing nice with KDE 4.6 on Arch Linux

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 19:39 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Gene Kodadek at 14/02/11 19:10 did gyre and gimble:
> > There's a problem with that. With the default /etc/pulse/default.pa I have no
> > sound at login. I can only get sound by loading the jack modules and running
> > Jack. System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -> Device Preference only shows
> > the dummy output and the Jack sink, which cries out to me that there's still
> > something wrong with my PulseAudio configuration.
>
> Does jack run at login? If so this is expected. As I said in my reply,
> I'd recommend NOT running jack at login. If this is not the problem then
> we'll need to look deeper (basically provide pulseaudio -vvvv output
> while jackd is not running with the upstream default.pa)
>
> Col

I have some fairly simple scripts (pulse-withjack and pulse-withoutjack)
which I use to load up jack when needed. Here's the general logic.

1. My default.pa uses module-udev-detect.
2. When I want Jack, I do the following (scripted)
   a. start jack
   b. load-module module-jack-sink/source
3. When I want to stop Jack, I do the following (scripted)
   a. find the module-jack-sink/source IDs
   b. unload-module them
   c. stop jack

This is of course with jack2 (with the previously-mentioned dbus-based
suspend of sound). If with jack1, you'd have to add logic to unload the
alsa modules before starting jack and reloading them after stopping
jack.