PulseAudio ssh -X equivalent

'Twas brillig, and Yves (theYinYeti) at 02/02/11 10:44 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello,
>
> Le 02/02/2011 09:50, rozelak at volny.cz a ?crit :
>> Hallo
>> I would like to ask if there is (planned) something as -X option in
>> ssh for
>> PulseAudio as well. I know from the pulseaudio FAQ that it supports
>> playback over the network, but I would like to have it working
>> transparently - playing on my desktop office computer when I sitting in
>> from of it, or playing through my laptop speakers when ssh-ing to the
>> office desktop and invoking *play commands on the desktop remotely.
>
> I'm far from being a pulseaudio expert, but I remember someone wrote
> that this can't be done transparently for now.
> However, doesn't pulseaudio listen on a TCP port? If so, let's assume
> this port to be 1234, then something along the lines of this should work :
>
> client>$ ssh -R 1234:localhost:1234 server
> server>$ export PULSE_SERVER=localhost:1234
> (I'm not sure about the name of the env variable)

Yeah that would work fine, but the standard port is 4713 and if the
destination machine can connect directly back to the source machine,
there is no need for anything fancy, it should just work OOTB by piggy
backing onto X11 properties for connection info. See my other reply for
more info :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie