Automatic muting of multiple applications

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:45, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> So I'd say it should simply be supported nicely in gstreamer and then
> most applications should behave correctly. As GStreamer is used pretty
> extensively on both GNOME and KDE, this covers the majority of cases
> right away.
>
> Add in support for the browsers and we've got quite complete coverage.

Right, I see that this feature requires some more work than I first
anticipated :)

> To Johannes, please do not jump right in and implement a module. There
> needs to be more discussion first as I think these kind of policy
> modules need to be planned a bit better than the ad-hoc collection we
> have right now.

Noted. So there's the problem of pausing the streams. Until we get
corking support in applications, I think a viable solution is to
simply mute them. Do you agree?

Other than that, I guess we should work out the policy for muting
streams. That is, which types of streams are applicable, at what
events should they be muted, etc.

- Johannes